Your Kitchen Toy Store: 8 Fun Ideas For Preschoolers
Who needs toys when you have a kitchen? Here are 8 ways to entertain small kids with items you likely have around your house.
1. Colander + pipe cleaners = endless fascination
You'd be amazed how long toddlers will remain mesmerized by this simple combination.
2. Cooling rack + Ribbon/pipe cleaners = Impromptu loom
Stash ribbon from presents throughout the year and you'll soon have an endless supply.
3. Clean pizza box + Sharpie = Parking lot numbers matching game
No number stickers handy? Draw numbers on blank labels and cut to size. Or, there's always masking tape...
4. Plastic SOLO cups = Stacking fun
Not just for beer pong anymore!
5. Mini marshmallows + toothpicks = Sculpture time
With older kids, you could even recreate constellations. Use an app like Sky Guide for an easy reference.
6. Ice cube tray + funnel + prep bowls + measuring spoons + baking sheet = Transfer game
Use rice, popcorn kernels, small beans or grains.
7. Coffee filters + food coloring + pipe cleaners = Coffee filter flowers
Florists had best watch out with these beauties on your dining room table.
8. Salad spinner + food coloring = Salad spinner art
Liberate your salad spinner from the cupboard and put it to work making paintings.
- Spatulas + ping pong balls/clean jar lid = Kitchen hockey
- Ice cube trays + beans of different colors = Sorting game
- Stacking bowls with lids + wooden spoons = Drum set
- Colored puree pouch lids + empty applesauce jars = Color sorting game
- Measuring cups + funnels = Bathtime or kiddie pool fun (race to see who can empty theirs first!)
- Paper plates + markers + rubber bands = Homemade masks
- Tongs + various pasta shapes + muffin pan = Sorting game
- Muffin pan + ice cube tray + food coloring = Instant watercolor paint set.