You'll Wow Everyone With These Easy Watermelon Pizzas
If you haven't hopped on the watermelon pizza train, then it's time to get on board. These light and refreshing fruit pizzas come together quickly and will wow a crowd whether you make them as party appetizers or summer desserts. Eye-catching and perfectly Instagrammable, a watermelon pizza is made for summer entertaining -- think of it as a composed fruit salad with even more fun flavor combinations and a little more style. I'll show you how to make show-stopping watermelon pizzas and share five recipes to try, from an unexpected salty-sweet appetizer to a healthier dessert alternative. After that, your imagination is the limit when it comes to dreaming up toppings.
How to Make Watermelon Pizza
Making a watermelon pizza could not be simpler:
1. First, use these smart tips to pick out a ripe watermelon. Make sure it's not too big around the middle, otherwise it will be harder to slice into rounds and wedges. For best results, use a seedless watermelon.
2. Choose and prep your watermelon pizza toppings so they're ready to go when you slice the melon.
3. Wash and dry the melon before you slice it crossways it into 1-inch-thick rounds, but do not cut the rounds into wedges just yet.
4. Use a paper towel or clean dish cloth to soak up some of the extra liquid from the cut surface of the watermelon, then layer on your toppings right away.
5. Cut the topped rounds into wedges for serving, like you would a pie. You can use the knife to gently separate the pieces. Serve immediately.
Watermelon Pizza Prep Tips
- Cut your watermelon slices from the middle of the watermelon to ensure more even thickness all around. Save the smaller end pieces and use them in watermelon salsa.
- True to its name, watermelon is watery and starts to give off lots of liquid as it sits out. To keep the toppings from slipping off the wet surface, pat it dry with a paper towel or clean cloth before adding your toppings.
- Watermelon pizza is best made right before serving. You can often prep the toppings ahead of time to speed things up, but don't be tempted to assemble the pizzas and refrigerate for the next day. It just doesn't work that way.
- If you're planning on serving your watermelon pizzas outside—say, to accompany a summer barbecue—opt for heartier toppings that won't wilt in the heat (like feta and olives as opposed to whipped cream).
- Get creative with your creations! Mix and match flavors and textures—salty and sweet, creamy and crunchy.
5 Sweet and Savory Watermelon Pizza Recipes to Try
Get inspired with these five watermelon pizza recipes, then go on and invent your own.
The sweet-salty combination of watermelon, feta cheese, olives, tomatoes, and fresh mint might sound strange, but once you've tried it you'll be convinced. This is the perfect summer appetizer or even light lunch - it looks beautiful, is a little different, and couldn't be easier to make.
For a celebratory dessert that's light on the calories, check out this birthday cake watermelon pizza. Topped with melted chocolate and sprinkles, it's festive without the fuss. Serve it right away when the chocolate is still warm, or refrigerate for 30 minutes to an hour to let the chocolate set.
This recipe is like your favorite bowl of yogurt with all the toppings, just on top of watermelon instead. Watermelon pizza with yogurt makes for a striking presentation and is delicious but also healthy, so it makes for just as good a wow-worthy breakfast as it does a guilt-free dessert.
Elvis was famous for his love of banana and peanut butter sandwiches, and it turns out the combination works amazingly well as a vegan watermelon pizza. Topped with crunchy chopped peanuts, this watermelon pizza dessert or snack has it all going on—refreshing watermelon, creamy protein, sweet bananas, and crunchy nuts.
For a fun take on a classic summer entertaining dessert, try this simple strawberry shortcake watermelon pizza. You can use either store-bought or homemade whipped cream (or try this vegan whipped cream recipe). Either way, the key is to serve this right away as the whipped cream can melt pretty quickly.
You Might Also Like...
Got leftover watermelon? Turn it into refreshing watermelon drinks.
Did you accidentally pick out a dry watermelon? No worries! Here's what to do with a mealy watermelon.
Find even more refreshing watermelon recipes.