Here's Why Cowboy Caviar Is the Greatest Dip of All Time
Cowboy Caviar otherwise known as Texas Caviar or even Mississippi Caviar!
What is it?
This tasty bean dip was first created in Texas in the 1940s. The name itself is a humorous comparison to real caviar, which is a little more costly as an appetizer.
What's it made of?
The main ingredient is traditionally black-eyed peas mixed together with bell peppers, red onion, chili peppers, tomatoes, cilantro, and vinaigrette. The vegetables are all chopped finely so as to resemble the texture of caviar.
What's so great about it?
- This dip has so many different flavors, and tastes like a salsa and a bean dip all at once.
- It's good for you! This dip is packed with protein and fresh veggies -- so a lot less guilt than a cheesy dip.
- It keeps really well, and can be made ahead of time. In fact some say, the taste gets better when you keep it overnight in the fridge.
- It's cheap to make, yet looks so pretty and tastes delicious.
- It's a great appetizer to bring to a party, as it's so easy to make and travels well.
Tempted to make your own? Here are some recipes to get you started:
Get more cooking tips, trends, and inspiration on Allrecipes Dish.