14 Soothing Soups For Cold And Flu Season
When you're on the sick list, these soothing soups can fight congestion and help keep you nourished and hydrated. Hey, they couldn't hurt!
When you're on the sick list, just about any warm and comforting soup can make you feel a little better. But some soup recipes are actually better than others at keeping you nourished, hydrated, uncongested, and soothed. Try these top picks, and get well soon.
Best Soups to Comfort You Through Cold and Flu Season
This light but filling soup calls for homemade shrimp stock, but you could substitute low-sodium chicken broth if you'd like. "Yum! my mom makes this all the time on cold days," says bsour001. " I love the spicy/sour combination. Really works if you have a cold!"
If you love ginger and garlic, you'll love this chicken soup. To make it vegetarian or vegan, you can sub vegetable broth and use tofu instead of chicken. "So good, so comforting, so easy." — ROCKES
3. Miso Soup
"I made this with kelp, which when cooked a bit becomes soft. I also added a tbsp each of fresh ginger and garlic, which I minced. Altogether it makes a very nutritious (and hopefully cold-fighting) soup." — rfairman
"This recipe rocks! I've had the flu for a few days now and made this recipe earlier today. It is so good, and the ginger is great for the tummy problems." — christine
"It is especially nice if you are feeling a bit under the weather." — Maxine
"FANTASTIC! Best squash soup I've ever had, and love that there's no fattening cream involved." — Victoriaren
"The soup was delicious and perfect for a cold winter's night." — LynneinVA
"I made this soup for its healing benefits, but I ended up loving it so much I'd make it anytime! It truly is 'healing' and not just for cold/flu season." — Heather
"Quick and easy. Perfect for when everyone starts getting the colds and the weather starts to turn yucky." — SusieHomemaker
"It is somewhat spicy and is very, very good for if you have a cold, would like to warm up in the winter, or want to clear your nose." — K.Hamel
"This IS very comforting, nutritious and low in calories...not to mention economical!" — Carla Cleary
"I was not feeling well one evening and wanted soup. But I only had chicken broth and that sounded boring. I'd made egg drop soup before and thought that sounded perfect, so I started looking up recipes. Since I couldn't quite make any of the ones I found, I combined them to make this. It helped settle my stomach and was super easy to make." — Clarissa Leigh
"This soup hit the spot and is great when you have to feed a family who is suffering with colds." — NPINCEK
"More comforting than chicken soup with our current terrible head colds!" — Queen Llemon
Best Bets For Feel-Better Soups
- Broth-based soups. Easy to sip. Easy to digest. Soothing for sore throats.
- Simple proteins. Try easily digestible tofu, shredded chicken, or seafood to keep your strength up while you're fighting off the bugs.
- Healthy Ingredients. Soups made with onions, garlic, tomatoes, and greens are rich in antioxidants. For a quick nutritional boost, serve broth-based soups over raw or lightly sautéed spinach instead of noodles.
- Congestion-busters. Some folks swear by very spicy soups for clearing out those nasal passages. But if you're feeling a bit queasy, you might want to proceed with caution. Staying away from dairy-enriched soups might help fight congestion, but that's not been absolutely proven.
- Tummy-friendly. Ginger is effective at settling nausea. Shave some into your broth soup and sip it all day.
Check out our collection of Soup Recipes.