Why Eating Potatoes May Actually Make You Thin
Before you turn down the taters, consider this: Potatoes could help minimize weight gain. Yes, a new study from McGill University in Montreal showed that mice fed an "obesity-inducing diet" high in fats and refined carbs gained significant weight...unless the mice were also fed potato extract. The potato extract, it seems, helped keep the weight off. Surprised? So were the scientists. They were so surprised, they gave the study a do-over to ensure they hadn't missed something.Here's what researchers say made the difference. The potato extract was high in polyphenols, which are chemical compounds thought to have beneficial health effects. Ok, so caveat time: The extract was so highly concentrated with polyphenols, that for a human to get the same amount of polyphenols from eating actual potatoes, he'd have to put away about 30. And eating 30 potatoes a day sounds pretty ambitious, probably even to the guy who ate 20 potatoes a day. Ready to be surprised again? Let's hear from the study's principal author, Stan Kubow, Associate Professor of Dietetics and Human Nutrition and an expert on polyphenols: "In the famous French diet, considered to be very healthy, potatoes, not red wine, are the primary source of polyphenols."That's pomme de terrific news, people. Particularly these days, when so much of what we hear about potatoes amounts to tuber trash talk: They're starchy, they're carby, they're deep-fried junk food.So even considering the caveat above, we welcome a little tater rehabilitation. And to celebrate, here are 15 top-rated recipes that aren't afraid to shout it out: Potatoes are polyphenomenal!
1. Garden Stuffed Baked Potatoes"This is an excellent side dish that goes with any dinner or even by itself," says Hallie. "If you like potatoes you will love these."
2. World's Best Potato SoupA creamy, cheesy potato soup with chunks of potatoes, onions, and celery. Top it with crumbled bacon.
3. Creamy Au Gratin Potatoes"The creamy cheese sauce and tender potatoes are deliciously addictive," says CathyM.
4. All-American Loaded Baked Potato Salad"This is a great twist on two all-American favorites: the potato salad and the loaded baked potato," says picejenmom. "Even people who don't normally love potato salad seem to love this!"
5. Sausage, Potato and Kale Soup"Hearty and flexible," says ckeiling. "If you don't have kale, use spinach. Any sausage will do. I often use leftover mashed potatoes. So easy!"
6. Mexican Potato Nachos"A family favorite, in a household that LOVES nachos, but doesn't love eating lots of chips," says wrylymorgan.
7. Irish Champ"Champ is native to the North of Ireland," says Ita "Great on its own, served with extra butter; it's also the perfect side for sausages."
8. Chef John's Cottage Fries"Delicious and easy to make," says jolley900. "I like that these are baked, not fried. They have a hint of spice from the cayenne, but it's subtle."
9. Shepherd's Pie VI"Awesome!" raves SEASONS3. "I substituted cooked, frozen peas-n-carrots for the carrot layer, and the rest is perfect. This is now my gold standard for S.P."
10. Roasted Potatoes with Greens"Roasted potatoes with fresh spinach and rosemary in a garlic-butter sauce," says Lisa. "Finish with a drizzle of olive oil and a shredding of Parmesan or Pecorino."
11. Hamburger Potato CasseroleCooked ground beef is layered between thinly sliced potatoes and held together by a quick, pantry-raided sauce.
12. Cheesy Potato and Corn Chowder"Just THE BEST corn chowder," says CLANHAM. "Hubby asks for it over and over and over!"
13. Fondant Potatoes"The texture is unlike anything you get by just roasting," says Chef John. "The crusty, crunchy edges contrast magically with the rich, creamy inside."
14. Chef John's Twice-Baked Potatoes"Great to make ahead," says janetsteph2. "You can also freeze them. Any combination of cream, butter, and cheese works well. Hard to ruin this recipe."
15. Chef John's Ham and Potato Soup"Incredible!" raves Charly. "I brought it to work and got rave reviews. It was thick, creamy, and super tasty!"
Check out our complete collection of Potato Recipes, including soups, side dishes, mashed potatoes, breakfast potatoes, and much more.