These DIY Seasoning Mixes Deliver Full Flavor Without a Grain of Salt
February is American Heart Month and a good time to break sodium-heavy habits. Sprinkling a salt-free seasoning on meats and veggies before you reach for the salt shaker is a smart place to start. And this 3-2-1 teaspoon formula makes it easy to make your own. We'll give you the basic formula plus three flavor variations to try.
DIY Salt-Free Seasoning Formula
Hands-On Time: 5 Minutes. Total Time: 5 Minutes. Makes ¼ Cup
- 3 teaspoons each onion powder and garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons dried herb (such as oregano, basil, or thyme)
- 2 teaspoons wild card (such as ground cumin, coriander, or paprika)
- 1 teaspoon heat (such as chili powder, crushed red pepper, or cayenne pepper)
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
Stir together all ingredients in a small airtight container, cover, and store up to 6 months.
Love it? Triple it! Use tablespoons instead of teaspoons to make a larger (¾ cup) batch.
Dried Herb: Thyme + Wild Card: Paprika + Heat: Cayenne Pepper
Dried Herb: Basil + Wild Card: Ground Coriander + Heat: Crushed Red Pepper
Dried Herb: Oregano + Wild Card: Cumin + Heat: Chili Powder
This article originally appeared in the February/March 2021 issue of Allrecipes Magazine.