3 Easy Ways To Make Ice Cream Without A Machine
No ice cream maker? No problem. Here are three easy work-arounds that really do work.
1. Food Processor or Blender Method
- What you need:Frozen fruit puree + heavy cream.
- How it works:With the food processor or blender running, slowly pour the cream over the pureed frozen fruit. The fruit quickly freezes the cream, making an almost instant ice cream dessert.
- The proof: Five-Minute Ice Cream
- Use yogurt instead of cream.
- Use coconut milk, as in thisPaleo Tropical Ice Cream.
2. Stand Mixer or Hand Mixer Method
What it takes: Sweetened condensed milk + whipped cream + add-ins
Why it works: Sweetened condensed milk acts as the ice cream base, and keeps the mixture smooth and creamy when you fold it into whipped cream and freeze it.
The proof: Easy Chocolate Ice Cream.
Here's how to do it. Click on the recipe for ingredient amounts (there are only 3, plus optional nuts).
- In a large bowl add sweetened condensed milk (and any liquid/powdered flavoring).
- In another large bowl, whip heavy cream until stiff peaks form.
- Using a spatula, gently fold 1/3 of the whipped cream into the sweetened condensed milk. Gently fold in remaining whipped cream until fully combined. (Fold in any solids, such as nuts.)
- Pour mixture into a 9x5 loaf pan lined with foil or plastic wrap. Cover and freeze until firm, about 6 hours.
3. Bag Method
What it takes: Salt + ice + cream + bags + shaking
Why it works: Salt lowers the freezing point of the ice and creates an extra-cold brine that absorbs heat from the cream mixture, causing it to freeze.
The proof: How to Make Ice Cream in a Bag
This hands-on method is especially fun for kids, and it teaches them some cool science at the same time.
Discover how easy it is to make delicious homemade ice cream.