How to Make Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
Quick and comforting.
Even better than old-school mashed potatoes are Instant Pot® mashed potatoes. That's right. No need to boil potatoes or drain excess water with this method. The Instant Pot version calls for less time, less effort, and fewer dishes than the classic side. But it tastes just as luscious. We'll answer your most frequently asked question about Instant Pot mashed potatoes, and share our step-by-step guide to making these easy mashed potatoes in your pressure cooker, along with ideas for lighter mashed potatoes, garlic mashed potatoes, and more.
Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes: FAQ
How long do you cook mashed potatoes in the Instant Pot?
The process takes about 20 minutes, including close to 10 minutes of cook time. Prep other ingredients while the potatoes cook.
Can you use red potatoes, sweet potatoes, or cauliflower?
Yukon gold and russet potatoes are starchier than red potatoes, which makes them fluffier when mashed. Choose these varieties over their waxier red cousins. (Already bought red potatoes? Use them to make the Best Instant Pot® Scalloped Potatoes instead!)
Can Instant Pot mashed potatoes be a make-ahead dish?
Absolutely! You can keep the finished mashed potatoes heated on "warm" for up to two hours before serving. (Perfect for Thanksgiving, right?) You can also refrigerate the mashed potatoes in an airtight container for up to five days.
How to Make Mashed Potatoes in an Instant Pot
- 2 lb. Yukon gold or russet potatoes cut into 2-inch pieces, peeled (optional)
- 3/4 cup liquid (water, vegetable broth, chicken stock, or chicken broth)
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Extras (sour cream, chives, Parmesan cheese, etc.)
Step 1: Prep
- Add potatoes and liquid to the inner bowl of the Instant Pot.
- Seal the lid, select "steam," and set to seven minutes.
Step 2: Cook
- Set the knob to "venting," and allow the pressure to release.
- Remove the lid, and turn the Instant Pot off.
- Set the Instant Pot to "sauté" then "manual" for two minutes.
Step 3: Mash and season
- Add milk, butter, and other fats or fat ingredients (such as 1/2 cup sour cream or 1/4 cup cream cheese).
- Mash with a potato masher or potato ricer.
- Stir in salt and pepper. Top with chives, Parmesan, or other seasonings.
- For garlic mashed potatoes, mix in roasted garlic before mashing. Or, follow our Best Instant Pot Garlic Mashed Potatoes recipe.
- Use plain yogurt instead of sour cream for tangier, lighter mashed potatoes.
- For an ultra-rich dish, take a cue from our Best Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes recipe and opt for cream cheese instead of sour cream.
What to serve with mashed potatoes
- Salisbury Steak
- Strip Steak
- Breaded Chicken Breast
- Prime Rib
- Pork Chops
- Pork Tenderloin
- Beef Tenderloin
- Whole Turkey
- Whole Roasted Chicken