How to Cook the Best Hard Boiled Eggs in the Instant Pot
Just follow three simple steps.
Hard boiled eggs make a rich, protein-packed snack, salad topping, or appetizer. Like, who hasn't dreamed of finishing off a dozen deviled eggs in one sitting? Just us? OK, cool. Anyway, what we love most about hard boiled eggs is how simple they are to make, especially if you're cooking them in the pressure cooker. Here's our step-by-step guide to the perfect Instant Pot hard boiled eggs.
How long does it take to boil eggs in the Instant Pot?
With this method, hard boiled eggs take just 15 minutes to cook and cool down, plus another five minutes for the Instant Pot to reach the right pressure. But the entire process *feels* like it takes about five minutes thanks to a technique called the 5-5-5 method.
Does the 5-5-5 method work?
The 5-5-5 method doesn't just work — it's so simple that it ensures consistent results each time. Egg-cellent, right? Here's how it's broken down:
- 5 minutes to cook
- 5 minutes to release pressure
- 5 minutes to cool in ice water
- One to 12 eggs
- One cup of cold water
- One Instant Pot with its trivet
Step 1: Cook
- Place the trivet or an egg steamer rack at the bottom of the inner cooking pot.
- Add eggs without stacking them on top of each other.
- Pour one cup of cold water into the inner cooking pot.
- Seal the Instant Pot, and cook eggs on manual (high pressure) for five minutes.
- While you're waiting, prepare an ice bath in a bowl or other container large enough to hold the eggs.
Step 2: Release
- Allow the Instant Pot to release pressure via natural pressure release for five minutes.
- After those five minutes, vent whatever pressure remains.
Step 3: Cool
- Transfer the eggs from the Instant Pot to the bowl of ice water.
- Let them cool for five minutes before peeling or storing.
Which Instant Pot cooks eggs?
The 5-5-5 method works best with a 6-quart or 8-quart Instant Pot. The model of the Instant Pot doesn't matter. Keep in mind that you'll have to adjust the process if you're using a stovetop pressure cooker.
Can you cook soft boiled eggs in the Instant Pot?
Yes! You just have to modify the process a bit. Check out our Instant Pot Easy Soft Boiled Eggs recipe to learn how.
Why do hard boiled eggs turn green?
Cooking eggs too long or at too high a temperature causes a reaction between the iron in the yolk and the sulfur in the white, according to the Incredible Egg website. Hence, a green ring forms between the yolk and white. This shouldn't happen when you use the 5-5-5 method to cook eggs in the Instant Pot.
How long do hard boiled eggs last in the refrigerator?
You can store hard boiled eggs (peeled or unpeeled) in the fridge for up to a week. That said, peeled eggs taste freshest within four to five days of cooking.