Keep Muffins Crisp With This Genius Move
Learn step-by-step how to store muffins. Plus get a genius trick from an Allrecipes community member on how to keep muffins at peak freshness.
Some of us love the uppermost layer of a muffin so much that we'll a) eat that part first, b) savor it last, or c) bake with shallow muffins tins for maximun muffin-topness. And when that muffin top has a layer of crispy, crumbly streusel as well...words have not been invented to describe the bliss.
But here's the grim reality. That crispy top gets moist and mushy when you store your muffins. (Unless you eat all the muffins at once. Don't judge.) But mush no more, my friends. Here's a simple way to keep those muffin tops at their peak of crisp perfection.
How to Store Muffins, According to the Allrecipes Community
This tip, whose genius lies in its simplicity, comes from ValerieB333:
"To keep topping from being soggy the next day, put a few saltine crackers in with the muffins when you store them (to absorb moisture). This also works to keep crunchy cookies from becoming soft."
This is where I slap my forehead and wonder why I didn't think of that.
How to Store Muffins Step-by-Step
- Cool muffins completely before storing
- Line an airtight container with paper towels and place the muffins on top in a single layer. And don't forget to add a few saltines to absorb moisture!
- Place paper towels above the muffins to soak up every bit of moisture. Seal with an airtight lid.
- If the paper towels become damp, replace them every few days. Muffins will last up to four days stored this way.
How to Freeze and Reheat Muffins
If you're looking to make your muffins last more than four days, your best bet is to freeze.
- Cool muffins completely before wrapping each on individually in plastic wrap.
- Place individually wrapped muffins in freezer-safe bag. Freeze for up to two months.
- To reheat, simply allow the muffins to thaw at room temperature or gently microwave them.
Now go and bake your muffins, confident in the knowledge that the tops will be crisp tomorrow. And the next day.
Related: Check out top-rated muffin recipes.