How to Pack a Cooler to Keep Food Fresh Longer
Whether you're camping in the great outdoors, taking a scenic road trip, picnicking, or tailgating, keeping fresh food properly chilled at a food-safe temperature is always a challenge when you're miles away from the nearest fridge. Here are smart tips for packing a cooler or ice chest so food stays cold longer and nothing gets soggy or crushed.
WATCH: How to Pack a Cooler
How to Pack a Cooler: An Illustrated Guide
- Chill all food and drinks before packing them.
- Seal food in waterproof containers to keep it dry and uncrushed.
- Keep the cooler as full as possible.
- If you can, have a separate cooler for drinks so the cooler doesn't lose its cool every time someone opens it to get a drink.
- Keep the cooler in the shadiest spot you can find.
- Don't drain melted ice water — it actually helps keep food cool longer. It's true!