How to Make Rice Pudding
Rice pudding is a rich and creamy, comforting dessert with a homey, old-fashioned flavor. But maybe best of all, rice pudding is super easy to make. Rice, milk, and sugar, that's all it is -- with a beaten egg sometimes stirred in at the end of cooking to add extra richness. Yes, rice pudding is a triple threat! It can be flavored in any number of ways, is a snap to make, and is a great way to use up leftover rice.
With rice pudding, there's something for everyone! There are vegan versions, made with coconut milk, and rice puddings from around the world, from Cuba to India, Portugal to Pakistan, Sweden to Japan, and all points in between.
Some rice puddings are made in a hurry on the stove top while others are cooked low in a slow cooker or in the oven. There are puddings made with brown rice and black rice, short grain and long. There's a version boldly proclaiming to be the creamiest. You could spend months making rice pudding recipes and not duplicate a dish.
How to Make Rice Pudding
1. Start your pudding with cooked white rice.
2. Combine the cooked rice, sugar, and the milk or cream in a heavy saucepan over medium heat.
3. Cook, stirring often, until the liquid has reduced and the pudding has thickened. This should take about 20 minutes.
4. Stir in dried or fresh fruit, toasted nuts, or a dash of spice. Try a combination of bananas and cinnamon or toasted walnuts and a bit of nutmeg.
5. If you like a rich pudding, try mixing in a bit of beaten egg and some additional milk. Stir constantly for about 2 minutes to cook the egg and thicken the pudding. If desired, stir in a bit of cold butter to add sheen.
6. Spoon your pudding into individual serving dishes; serve warm or chilled.
Watch Chef John whip up a quick batch of old-fashioned rice pudding using his patented one-pot method.
Top-Rated Rice Pudding Recipes
Here are just a few of our favorite rice pudding recipes.
"The key to making Erica's mom's recipe for rice pudding healthier is using brown rice instead of white," says MakeItHealthy. "It's delicious and nutritious!"
"Classic, creamy, and comforting rice pudding, styled up with some coconut and orange flavors sharing the stage equally," says lutzflcat. "Garnish with toasted coconut and orange slices."
"This is my mom's recipe for Rice Pudding," says Erica G. "It's the best I've ever tasted. Sprinkle with nutmeg or cinnamon, if desired. For a creamier pudding, use short or medium grain rice."
Check out our collection of Rice Pudding Recipes.