How to Decorate Cute Bug Cookies with Your Kids
Sweeten spring with these cute-as-a-bug cookies. Kids will love dipping, sprinkling, and devouring these tasty critters.
All you need
- Colored candy melts in assorted colors [We used Wilton Candy Melts in red, blue, vibrant green, and yellow.]
- Chocolate sandwich cookies
- Black confetti sprinkles
- Blue raspberry candy laces
- Lime fruit jelly candies
- A tube of black decorating gel or icing
- Candy eyeballs
All you do
- Using a different bowl for each color, warm the colored candy melts according to package directions.
- Dip chocolate sandwich cookies partway into desired colors, leaving about one-third uncoated.
- Transfer to wax or parchment paper.
- Apply toppings for spots, legs, and wings before coating has fully set.
- Use black decorating gel to draw stripes and attach candy eyeballs.
Color Tip: Prefer a different shade? Mix candy melts of different colors together. Don’t add water-based food coloring, though. It can change the consistency and make dipping difficult.
For the ladybugs
Use red candy melts. Apply 6 to 8 black confetti sprinkles to each cookie for spots.
For the spiders
Use blue candy melts. Cut candy laces into 2-inch segments, then apply to each cookie for legs.
For the beetles
Use vibrant-green candy melts. Slice 1 lime jelly candy into 2 thin half-moon slices. Apply 2, cut sides down, to each cookie for wings.
For the bees
Use yellow candy melts. Once coating has set, use black decorating gel to draw 3 parallel lines across each cookie for stripes.
This article originally appeared in the April/May 2020 issue of Allrecipes Magazine.