How to Cut an Onion
Here's the best way to cut an onion into uniform-size pieces.
Cut an onion into same-sized pieces, whether you're mincing, dicing, or chopping them, and they'll cook evenly and be done at the same time. Here's a quick tutorial on the best way to cut an onion quickly and into uniform bits. Chop an onion this way, and there's no time for the tears!
1) Grab a sharp knife and slice the top part off the onion. Which end is the top? It's opposite the root end.
2) Cut the onion in half lengthwise from the root end to the top.
3) Remove the skin.
4) Make horizontal cuts, stopping just short of the root:
5) Make vertical cuts, again stopping short of the root:
6) Chop by cutting across the top of the onion:
Now that you have chopped onions, turn them into a dice or mince if you like.
Check out our collection of Onion Recipes.