How to Make Smart Cookie's Brownie Baked Alaska
Permission to play with fire.
Fire up your kitchen torches because you're about to learn how to make a classic dessert that starts with a brownie base and ends with a toasted meringue dome, with a triple-layer of ice cream in between. We'll share Smart Cookie's top tips to make the fudgy chocolate brownie from scratch, form the layered ice cream dome, and create the toasted meringue topper.
Created by MasterChef alum, Elise Mayfield — aka Smart Cookie — this show-stopping dessert takes two days to complete (the ice cream needs to refreeze overnight) so bake the brownie base and form the ice cream dome one day, and finish up with the meringue the next day.
Get the recipe: Brownie Baked Alaska
"Pistachio and strawberry ice cream top a fudgy brownie base that's frosted with meringue and torched to create this baked Alaska. This concept is said to have emerged when a British physicist known as Count Rumford was experimenting with egg whites during the Revolutionary period and found them to be poor conductors of heat. Make sure to bake the brownie base and layer the ice creams the night before prepping the meringue." — Smart Cookie
Smart Cookie's Top Tips:
- 1. When you'remelting chocolate in a double boiler, you don't need the water to actually boil because all you're using is the heat from the steam.
- 2. To prevent sticking, spray your 9-inch cake pan with cooking spray and line it with parchment paper.
- 3. If you use a 9-inch cake pan for your brownies, be sure to use a 9-inch bowl for your ice cream dome. Line it with plastic wrap to prevent sticking. Do let your ice cream soften in the fridge before you smoosh the ice cream into the bowl.
- 4. The ice cream dome is made with 3 layers of ice cream. Freeze each layer for 15 minutes before adding the next one.
- 5. This recipe calls formaking a cooked meringue over a double boiler. Be sure to keep whisking the egg whites when you add them to the bowl of the double boiler so they don't make scrambled eggs.
Watch: Brownie Baked Alaska