How to Make Smart Cookie's Blueberry, Goat Cheese, and Basil Pie
Her favorite pie, and here's why
Why does Smart Cookie call this her favorite pie of all time? Maybe because it earned her a spot on season five of Master Chef, and maybe because it's off-the-charts delicious. Either way, she's going to show you how to make it so you can enjoy it, too.
Elise Mayfield — aka Smart Cookie — knows this unusual ingredient combo might give you pause, but don't let it scare you off. The sweet juicy blueberries pair beautifully with the creamy tang of the goat cheese; and the bright grassy flavor of the basil takes it to another level, so don't you dare leave it out.
We'll share Smart Cookie's top tips to make the pie from start to finish, including making the pie crust from scratch and weaving a fancy braided lattice pie top.
Get the recipe: Blueberry, Goat Cheese, and Basil Pie
"Learn how to make your own lattice pie crust and fill it with a simple, unique medley of fresh blueberries and basil folded into whipped cream and honey goat cheese. Creamy, fruity, and tangy at the same time, this summertime pie has it all." — Smart Cookie
Smart Cookie's Top Tips:
1. Be sure to use ice water when you're making the pie pastry crust. It helps to keep the butter as cold as possible.
2. Forming 2 round, flattened disks of dough makes it easier to roll out the dough after it's chilled.
3. Words to live by: "Chris Pratt knows how to braid. If he can learn, you can learn."
4. Brush an egg wash evenly over your pastry to help it get a beautiful golden brown color when it bakes.
5. Place a baking sheet in the oven to heat up while the oven heats. This helps cook the bottom of the pie so the pastry isn't soggy.
6. Be prepared to use your timer because the baking is done in three stages: 1) 425 degrees F for 20 minutes. 2) 375 degrees F for 20 minutes. 3) Covered with foil for 30 to 40 minutes more.
7. Cool the pie on a rack for about 2 hours before slicing and eating.
Watch the video to see it all come together: