20 Ways to Make Homemade Pizza
We came up with 20 different pizza ideas to build on top of 4 different sauces so you never have to eat the same pizza twice.
For fast, delicious weeknight dinners, it's hard to beat pizza. It's easy to make, easy to eat, and easy to clean up. Best of all, pizza lends itself to all kinds of creative variations. Read on, and find recipes and directions below.
Step 1: The Crust
Since quick and easy is the aim, we built our pizzas using pre-made fresh pizza dough (ours was from Trader Joe's), but you can also use pre-baked crusts (such as Boboli). If you have time — about 18 hours for rising time! — you can make your own pizza dough. Chef John's Easy Homemade Pizza Dough makes for a tender, delicious pie base, but we've got dozens of pizza crust recipes here, including whole wheat and gluten-free.
Step 2: The Pizza Sauce
Again, we used pre-made marinara, white sauce, and pesto for our pies, but if you have time, consider making your own pizza sauce:
Step 3: The Toppings
Now comes the fun part — piling on the toppings! Here are 20 pizza topping ideas the Allrecipes team dreamed up, pairing toppings with each of the sauces. Use them as a guide or as an inspiration!
1. Meat Lovers: spicy salami, pepperoni, bacon, mozzarella cheese
2. Herb 'n' Cheese: fresh mozzarella, basil, olive oil
3. Taco! Taco!: taco meat, black olives, Cheddar cheese, salsa
4. Marvelous Mushroom: mozzarella cheese, chanterelle mushrooms, button mushrooms, portobello mushrooms
5. Big Breakfast Pie: tater tots, Cheddar cheese, breakfast sausage, fried egg
Olive Oil & Garlic
6. Sweet Goat: sweet potatoes, caramelized shallots, goat cheese
7. Ham 'n' Eggs: prosciutto, arugula, fried egg, shaved Parmesan
8. Spicy Chicken BBQ: pepperjack cheese, chicken breast, red onion, diced green pepper, barbecue sauce
9. Pacific NW Pie: ricotta cheese, smoked salmon, red onion
10. The Mediterranean: marinated artichoke hearts, feta cheese, black olives
11. Good Kale: mozzarella cheese, kale, balsamic vinaigrette
12. Mac 'n' Cheesiest: mac & cheese, Cheddar cheese, Sriracha sauce
13. The Greek: mozzarella cheese, gyro meat, Greek olives, feta cheese
14. Denver Omelet: scrambled eggs, Cheddar cheese, white onion, green pepper
15. Buffalo Wow: Buffalo chicken, hot sauce, bleu cheese
16. Parm & Pine: mozzarella, chicken breast, red potatoes, rosemary
17. Sausage & Spinach: mozzarella cheese, Italian sausage, spinach, tomato
18. Baked Potato & Chicken: Parmesan cheese, sundried tomatoes, pine nuts
19. Zoodles!: Fontina cheese, zoodles, chili flakes
20. Roasted Chickpea & Tomato: mozzarella cheese, roasted chickpeas, roasted tomatoes, Parmesan cheese
Cook your pizza according to the directions on the crust packaging or recipe.