Healthy Breakfast Makeovers
Brake for breakfast! You’ll never want to skip your morning meal with these breakfast options and their healthy ingredient swaps.
Whether you enjoy breakfast in a bowl or from the oven — sit down to one of these egg-centric and banana-rich recipes.
Breakfast Bowls: Indulge or Go Healthy
Indulge: Amber's Awesome Egg Breakfast Bowl
The bacon and egg breakfast salad has 262 fewer calories and 585 fewer milligrams of sodium than the one on the left. Here's why:
- Using crisp salad greens instead of potato nuggets as the base cuts calories and boosts nutrients, such as folate and vitamin A.
- Topping with a creamy avocado-based dressing instead of cheese adds flavor without excess saturated fat and sodium.
Breakfast Breads: Indulge or Go Healthy
Indulge: Banana Chocolate Chip Bread
Go healthy: Very Banana-y Whole Wheat Banana Bread
The whole wheat banana bread has more fiber and 8 fewer grams saturated fat per serving than the loaf on the left. Here's why:
- Subbing in whole-wheat flour for white flour adds wholesome fiber.
- Using applesauce and olive oil instead of butter cuts calories and saturated fat.
- Stirring in walnuts instead of chocolate chips boosts fiber and healthy fats and slashes added sugars.
RELATED: Get More Healthy Breakfast Recipes
This article originally appeared in the April/May 2021 issue of Allrecipes Magazine.