9 Grilled Breads That Complete the Cookout
When the steaks, chicken, and burgers are all grilled to perfection, stay flame-side for just a moment more! And toss some bread on the hot grates. Grilled bread takes just minutes to make, and you'll love the flavor that grilling imparts on all types of breads -- brioche to baguette, flat to focaccia. We've gathered some favorite grilled bread recipes here, including cheesy garlic bread, naan, and grilled cinnamon toast. Take a look!
Quick Tips for Grilling Breads
- Place the bread oil- or butter-side down on a hot grill, cooking until grill marks appear, about 2 or 3 minutes.
- Use long tongs to move the bread around the grill every 15 to 20 seconds. "Grilled bread tends to burn easily," says France C. "Keep an eye on it constantly."
- Want melty cheese on your grilled bread? Here are four cheeses that are great for melting: Manchego, Gouda, Cheddar, and Gruyere.
- Grilling bread is a great way to use up extra fresh bread. If you have extra fresh-baked bread, freeze it before it goes stale. Then thaw it, and put it on the grill.
- Reheat any leftover grilled bread in the toaster oven.
Top-Rated Grilled Bread Recipes
"Perfect to throw on the grill just before serving dinner," says France C. "I like to make this with different cheeses, such as Parmesan or Gruyere, or whatever I happen to have on hand. Keep an eye on it constantly, as it tends to burn easily!"
Load up grilled focaccia with ripe tomatoes, pesto, and shredded Italian cheeses.
"French bread (or Italian) is lightly toasted, spread with a creamy cheese mixture and grilled until warm, melted, and unbelievably delicious," says Kimber. "The finished bread keeps well in an airtight container."
Top your grilled baguette with fresh mozzarella, tomato, and basil for a super-quick and easy appetizer or side dish.
You'll baste grilled Calabrese bread with garlic, basil, and oil. "So simple and so good," says SABMAN. "It's our summertime favorite for fresh and leftover bread alike."
6. Grilled Naan
"This recipe makes the best naan I have tasted outside of an Indian restaurant," says Mic. "I can't make enough of it for my family. I serve it with shish kabobs, but I think they would eat it plain."
Save room for dessert! Pop a few packets of blackberry brioche bread pudding on the grill. "So freaking awesome," raves Kerry. "Why didn't I ever do this before? Made it the first time as written...yum. Made it again with raspberries...super yum. Oops, did it again with blueberries and lemon cream cheese sauce. Gonna do strawberry rhubarb next."
Take a basic pizza dough recipe and turn it into an amazing grilled-bread side dish.
Grill slices of brioche covered with cinnamon butter. An irresistible crunchy-sweet toast. "While grilling, the butter mixture caramelizes," says thedailygourmet, "and as it cools, it develops a bit of a crunch."
Check out our collection of BBQ & Grilled Side Dish Recipes.