15 Quick and Easy Side Dish Salad Recipes
Short on time doesn't mean short on flavor.
A fresh, crisp salad is always a welcome side dish to any meal, from a casual lunch to the most formal dinner. But with all the time it takes to prep a meal, the last thing you need is a side dish salad that's complicated and time-consuming to make. Have we got a solution for you! Here are 15 quick and easy side salad recipes that'll come in handy, whether for a potluck, barbeque, Thanksgiving, or just another weeknight.
1. Herb 'n Honey Cucumber Tomato Salad | Ready in 20 minutes
"Crisp and sweetly delicious, this salad is a wonderful addition to any summer picnic. May serve immediately or cover and refrigerate up to four hours before serving for enhanced flavor," recipe creator Ginny Maziarka says.
2. Classic Restaurant Caesar Salad | Ready in 20 minutes
Reviewers attest: This salad lives up to its name. It would fit in just as well at a barbeque as it would at a fancy restaurant.
3. Spinach Salad with Poppy Seed Dressing | Ready in 15 minutes
Some of our home cooks have swapped certain ingredients for others, like strawberries for mandarin oranges and walnuts for almonds. Others make this sweet, tangy salad as it is. You do you.
4. Jamie's Cranberry Spinach Salad | Ready in 20 minutes
"Very nice salad. We liked it with our Thanksgiving dinner because it was light and tasty," Julie Burke says.
5. Easy Apple Coleslaw | Ready in 25 minutes
Make this easy barbeque side salad your own with add-ins like pineapple, red onion, jalapeño, pecans, or sunflower seeds — just a few of the variations our home cooks have tried.
6. Thai-Inspired Sunomono with Jalapeno, Cilantro, and Basil | Ready in 30 minutes
Serve this aromatic cucumber side salad to spice up a weeknight dinner.
7. Strawberry Avocado Salad | Ready in 15 minutes
Reviewers call this salad a real crowd-pleaser, making it an excellent dish to whip up for a potluck.
8. Quick and Easy Carrot and Chickpea Salad | Ready in 15 minutes
"I love this fresh and satisfying salad and have had it as a side salad and as a main dish for lunch," AnnInLondon writes. "Simple, inexpensive, quick to put together and it uses ingredients that I always have on hand."
9. Baja Salad | Ready in 20 minutes
Home cooks recommend serving this salad with grilled chicken, empanadas, quesadillas, and even pizza. Remember to toss well before serving!
10. Taco Slaw | Ready in 20 minutes
Home cooks write in that this Mexican-inspired coleslaw works well as a side salad or as a topping for tacos of all kinds. (Even roasted cauliflower tacos!)
11. Good for You Greek Salad | Ready in 15 minutes
"Fabulous! I made this to go with gnocchi and baked chicken. The two little girls I made it for loved it," Melissa Goff says.
WATCH: Good for You Greek Salad
12. Kale Salad | Ready in 10 minutes
"I am thrilled that I tried this recipe and that I read every review," Monique Douglas says. "It is critical to massage the kale. To do this, remove the stems, put a little olive oil on your hands, and knead the kale like you would bread for about 5 minutes, or until it is a dark rich green."
13. Watermelon Salad with Arugula and Feta | Ready in 20 minutes
"Simple and delicious! Perfect for a picnic or a brunch. Very refreshing, good combination of ingredients and flexible to add others if you are so inclined." — Stirring up Trouble
14. Napa Cabbage Salad with Lemon-Pistachio Vinaigrette | Ready in 15 minutes
"This salad has a fresh zippy flavor and makes a nice accompaniment to baked fish or roasted chicken." — Always Cooking Up Something
15. Winter Fruit Salad with Lemon Poppyseed Dressing | Ready in 25 minutes
"Wonderful salad for the holiday seasons. Great to serve for dinner at home or to take to a family gathering," recipe author Nora LaCroix writes.
WATCH: Winter Fruit Salad with Lemon Poppyseed Dressing