9 Best Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes to Warm You Up
Allrecipes home cooks know a good thing when they taste one, and they love the taste of these slow cooker chicken recipes so much that they rate them as their favorites. Of course, one of the advantages of these set-it-and-forget-it recipes is they cook themselves while you're off having a life. And at the end of the day, a warm and satisfying dinner is ready when you are. Get tips for making slow cooker chicken along with top-rated recipes.
Top Tips For Slow-Cooking Chicken
- Cooking lean breast meat for a long time dries out the meat. Try using thigh meat instead.
- If you use chicken breasts, add enough liquid to almost cover them to help them stay moist.
- Boneless chicken takes less time to cook than bone-in chicken, but bone-in chicken is less likely to overcook and dry out.
- Thaw frozen chicken before it goes into the pot to avoid any risk of harmful bacteria developing at low temperatures.
- To get the richest flavor, brown chicken and vegetables in a skillet before adding to the pot. the skillet with wine or broth to capture every tasty bit.
- Don't open the lid until you're ready to check for doneness. Opening it up early releases the heat, and the slow cooker has to work to come up to temperature again. If you can't live without peeking, get a slow cooker with a see-through glass lid.
- Every slow cooker has different specs for everything from how much you can fill it to how long you can leave food on the Warm setting. Always check the manufacturer's handbook for specific recommendations.
- Some newer slow cookers cook faster than older ones. Again, check the manufacturer's handbook.
9 Top-Rated Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes
"Great comfort food and the kids love it. I agree with some other reviews: 1) replace water with chicken broth, 2) add poultry seasoning, and 3) add the rolls 90-120 minutes before serving." — lmichel14
"Can't beat the ease of this. Best advice was to add a can of tomato paste to thicken." — sunnycook
"I solved the cardamom pod problem by wrapping them along with some fenugreek seeds in cheesecloth and tying the little package with kitchen twine." — Contessathecook
"Don't let the long list of ingredients fool you. All you do is dump everything into the slow cooker and walk away." — Elena
"Topped with lettuce, chopped cherry tomatoes, shredded cheese, cilantro, guacamole, and plain Greek yogurt. The toppings helped cool the heat." — Maya
"The only change I would suggest is switching to boneless, skinless chicken thighs. Simmering breast meat for long periods of time makes the chicken dry. If you make the recipe with thigh meat, you will notice a major difference." — manwithgills
"Let me start with the fact that this chili recipe won me the chili cook off at work." See the prize-winning tweaks madredintegra made.
"Being a true Boriqua (from Puerto Rico) I can truly attest that this is the real thing." See the full review with helpful tips from 2kids.
"Wow, tender meat falls right off the bone. Very flavorful. Didn't add the sugar and it was delightful just the same." — rubifrut