7 Benefits of Canned vs. Fresh Salmon & Tuna (+ Recipes Galore)
In fact, there are a bunch of reasons why canned tuna and salmon are often the smart choice over fresh.
1. Canned seafood is cheaper than fish steaks and fillets.
2. The salmon and tuna in cans are pre-cooked and often easier and quicker to work with.
3. Canned seafood stays fresh longer. Store a few cans in the pantry, and you'll always have quick meals on hand.
4. Fish from cans are more likely to have been wild-caught than farm-raised fish. Look on the label to be sure.
5. Canned fish may contain less mercury. That's because the fish are typically smaller and have absorbed less of the metal.
6. When packed in olive oil, canned fish offers additional omega-3s. Brain food!
7. Canned and fresh fish have essentially the same nutritional values. You're not giving up nutrients by opting for the can.
Let's get right to some of our favorite recipes. Add these top-rated fish cakes, casseroles, pastas, tostadas, and salads to your weekly dinner routine. They're a great and simple way to get healthy fish into your diet.
"The mustard and horseradish gave this just the right amount of kick without being too spicy." -- Kristen B.
"About as good as tuna casserole can get. Not as easy as my mom's old soup-based recipe but well worth the extra steps." -- Obot77
"Fresh and lemon-y, the zest makes this salad sing." -- BGCITYKAT
"Great recipe and virtually zero prep-work/time! I don't think you can make a tuna sandwich faster." -- D.C. Flint
"When I want something quick and easy for a weeknight meal, I reach for this. The taste and texture is really closer to a veal sauce than one made with fish." -- Chef John
"A light, healthy tapa that goes best with crisp white wines and crunchy bread.Great for experimenting with different vegetables, spices, and vinegars." -- La Cocina de Redondita
"A delicious version of the classic tuna noodle casserole." -- cheftini
"A quick and easy salmon salad, full of flavor. Enjoy as a side or spread over baguette slices topped with fresh cucumber." -- NomNomNomz
"I am in love with this recipe. So easy, quick, and great for a weeknight fancy meal." -- arsesta
"I adjusted a favorite tuna salad recipe to make this spicy salmon version." -- glypnirsgirl
"Sweetened with apples and raisins, this is a very healthy lunch salad." -- seajillian