4 Fun Menus to Take Your BBQ on the Road
A moveable feast.
Take your skill at the grill on the road and entertain family and friends at the beach, the lake, or beside a mountain stream. We'll share four BBQ and grilling picnic menus to pack and take along with you, from a casual family-friendly cookout to a romantic picnic for two.
1. The Easy Family-Friendly Menu
What's easier than burgers on the grill? Grilled corn, make-ahead coleslaw, and homemade chocolate chip cookies round out this satisfying, no-fuss meal. Shape the burgers, bake the cookies, and prep the coleslaw the night before. Stock the cooler with everyone's favorite beverage and any munchies that sound good. (Don't forget the ketchup and mustard.) While the coals heat up, keep kids busy with easy outdoor games or a simple scavenger hunt.
2. The Impress-Your-Mate Splurge Menu
Spread the picnic blanket and serve wine and cheese while the coals heat up. When the coals are ready, treat your special someone to Surf and Turf for Two and elegant make-ahead side dishes. For dessert, strawberries dipped in chocolate.
3. The Catch-of-the-Day Menu
Cooking salmon on a cedar plank makes for a beautiful presentation and adds a taste of the great outdoors to this super-fresh menu. Round out your meal with grilled vegetables and a simple make-ahead orzo salad. For dessert, keep it simple with fresh fruit skewers.
Related: Catch our top 10 grilled salmon recipes.
4. The Budget-Friendly Menu
Hot dogs are always easy on the wallet, and with a few easy toppings, you can make them picnic-worthy without busting your budget. Dish up plenty of potato salad on the side; and for dessert, offer watermelon slices and homemade brownies.
Essential BBQ Picnic Equipment
Once you pack the essentials, your party can travel anywhere:
- Portable grill
- Charcoal, lighter fluid, matches (some manufacturers sell small bags of briquettes designed for one use: burn them, bag and all--no lighter fluid required)
- Barbeque tools: tongs, metal spatula, grill rack, oven mitts
- Games: Frisbees, soccer balls, baseball bat, ball, gloves, kites
- Portable stereo
- Insect repellant, sunscreen, first aid kit
- Baking soda or small fire extinguisher to tame grease fires